Now more than ever we need legislation in place that protects our democracy. The events of January 6th and the focus for many legislators on pleasing their donors over serving their constituents must be dealt with directly. We rallied for the protections in HR1 when it was brought up in the last Congress and are very pleased to see it being reintroduced in a time when we have a Senate that will not let this important legislation die on McConnell’s desk.
Introduced 1/04/21 Cosponsored by Congresswoman Angie Craig 2/05/21
Summary: (from Congress.gov)
There are many important provisions in this bill including:
- To expand Americans’ access to the ballot box,
- reduce the influence of big money in politics,
- strengthen ethics rules for public servants,
- and implement other anti-corruption measures for the purpose of fortifying our democracy, and for other purposes.
- Call Angie Craig’s office in DC to thank her for supporting this important legislation at (202) 225-2271
- Share this important information with friends and neighbors by sharing on your social media feed and encourage them to contact their federal legislators to sign on to HR1. They can find out if their legislators already have cosponsored by clicking here
- Get more information on the bill and calls to action at Common Cause website, an organization dedicated to preserving our democracy