Summary: To authorize the Secretary of Agriculture to provide food and agriculture emergency aid to States, and for other purposes. Cosponsors (bipartisan)
ANGIE CRAIG’S POSITION: Representative Craig Cosponsored the bill on 05/19/20.
- “As family farmers and rural communities deal with the devastating consequences of COVID-19, we must step up and provide support,” said Rep. Craig. “The Farming Support to States Act is a common sense way for us to provide needed funds to farmers and rural businesses quickly and effectively. Minnesota’s local food processors have truly stepped up to the plate to help our producers during this difficult time. Investing in our food system improves our resiliency to withstand COVID-19 and far into the future.” (Source: Rep. Craig, Press Release, 05/21/20)
STATUS: Introduced 05/14/20 by Rep. Torres Small, Xochitl [D-NM-2].
INFORMATION RELATED TO THE BILL:
- “Over the past few months, New Mexico’s farmers and ranchers have faced unprecedented challenges – overnight changes in demand, unstable supply chains, and increasing losses – stretching our agricultural producers’ resources to the limits. This pandemic has impacted every aspect of our rural way of life, but the federal response has not yet matched the severity of the crisis that rural communities are facing,” said Torres Small, member of the House Agriculture Committee. “The Farming Support to States Act provides locally-directed funding through entities like State Departments of Agriculture, Tribes and Pueblos, and local offices of the Cooperative Extension System. This bill allows those entities to make urgently needed investments and provide meaningful relief to support farmers and ranchers, helping to get them through this crisis.” (Source: Rep. Torres, Press Release, 05/21/20)
- Link to the text of the bill.
- Link to bill information (support and opposition) on Countable.
- Link to bill information on GovTrack.